Validity refers to the degree to which our score-based inferences about students are defensible. Another way to think about validity is to pose the question, “Am I measuring what I think I am measuring?” When we assess students, we take these students’ responses to a set of tasks or items and generate some type of score that summarizes the students’ performances.
Built in 1917 by Nebraska Wesleyan University, Van Fleet was designed to be the model training school for the University’s education department; however, several rooms were immediately leased to University Place Public Schools. When University Place was annexed in 1927, this arrangement was continued and Van Fleet became a Lincoln Public School until 1940 when the lease was dropped.
The building was named for Rev. Peter Van Fleet, an early NWU alumnus. Van Fleet had heen a missionary in Puerto Rico and when he returned to Nebraska he served as District Superintendent of the Nebraska Methodist Conference and as pastor of Lincoln’s St. James M. E. Church. In 1909, Rev. Van Fleet was appointed “Special Field Secretary” to raise money for NWU and was so successful at it that the building he enabled to be built, was named after him.
LPS never owned the Van Fleet Building. It was razed by NWU in 1977
Ventures in Partnerships (VIP) pairs schools and programs with businesses and organizations to work on mutually beneficial projects.
For more information call 436‑1950.
Volunteers in Schools (VIS) places community volunteers in classrooms, media centers, playgrounds and other areas where a helping hand is needed.
Call the school of your choice for possible opportunities.
In order for the district to receive ERate funding that reduces the cost of our Internet access by 62%, Federal regulations require compliance with guidelines provided in the ‘Children’s Internet Protection Act’ [47 U.S.C. § 254], also known as CIPA. Based upon CIPA guidelines, LPS employs a web content filter.
Web Content Filtering in LPS
If you have any questions about filtering policies in LPS please contact Kirk Langer, Chief Information Officer [email@example.com].
Building based technology committees can make additional decisions related to access, layering additional categories of blocked content above and beyond the categories blocked for the entire district. Enter a Help Ticket for assistance.
While you are on the LPS network if you attempt to load a web page that is restricted for students, you may notice a login & password field appear on the block page. LPS employees may enter their LPS credentials to access any web page not contained in the CIPA block list. This is known as “Role Based Authentication” and respects an educator’s right to make professional decisions about the content you access. For more information visit:
WebSMARTT is the name of the district’s cafeteria computerized Point of Sale system and is used at all schools. Each student can access his or her account using their own PIN, which is entered on a pin pad as they leave the cafeteria serving area.
Money is deposited into the student’s personal account (called a prepayment), and when food is purchased the computer subtracts the cost from the student’s balance. Any amount of money may be deposited. Cash may also be used to pay for food.
A small frame school served the West A area for 23 years. Its name was changed to
Willard in 1915, three years before a new brick building was built.
Whittier was an elementary school until 1923 when the new building was completed. This new Whittier is unique in American education. It was one of the first schools actually built as a junior high school, compared to most previous junior highs across the country which had been conversions.
Whittier was named for the American poet, John Greenleaf Whittier (1807- 1892), who is remembered as a powerful opponent of slavery and the author of much prose and poetry.
In 1977 the junior high was closed but the building, called “Whittier Center,” was used until 1980 as an alternative high school. The building was purchased by the University of Nebraska in 1983.
One of the most beautiful buildings ever built in Lincoln, it sat largely unused (except for storage) for more than 20 years due to a shortage of funds and uncertainty as to is ultimate use by the University.
In June 2007, NU regents approved plans to renovate Whittier into a state-of-the-art child care and research facility through a $23.75 million environmentally friendly renovation of the building. Work is slated to be completed in 2010.
In 1915 the name of West A Street School was changed to Willard to honor Frances E. Willard (1839-1898). After a career as a teacher, Miss Willard was appointed Dean of Women at Northwestern University in 1873. She became increasingly interested in the temperance movement and spent 20 years as president of the W.C.T.U. and organizer of the world temperance union. She was a tireless lecturer.
The Willard building survives today as the Willard Community Center.
Refers to operating system for PC laptops and desktops. Used on workstations from vendors like HP, Asus, Lenovo, Dell, Acer and even Apple. Featured Windows programs: Word, PowerPoint, Windows Live MovieMaker, etc.
Lancaster County School District No. 126 was annexed in 1959. The school was named for the area.
By Mrs. Cuba Turnwall, Primary I Teacher (dated November 5, 1965)
School District No. #126 was formed from a portion of old School District No. 90 on September 25, 1886. Additional territory was added to it in 1887 and 1888 from School District No. 1 (Lincoln). A final addition of territory was made in 1891 from School District No.113 (known as Garfield District). The size of the school district remained unchanged until its dissolution.
The records of the school districts in the office of the County Superintendent of Schools are meager before 1893. Information is available from the annual reports of the County Superintendent of Schools or the State Superintendent of Schools.
The following facts are some taken from the County Superintendent’s annual report:
J.M. Higgins was the director (secretary) of the school board in 1893. The total expenditures for the school year were $1,227.36. There were two teachers with an enrollment of 101 pupils. The average daily attendance for the year was 62. One of the teachers was Laura A. England and she received $55.00 per month for the nine-month school year. The other teacher, a woman,, received 45.00 per month. The only mention of the school building was that it was a frame building in good condition.
In 1900, the director of the school board was W. Mills, and the total expenses for the school year were $370.41 as compared with $1,227.36 in 1893. One teacher was paid $30.00 a month to teach 8 pupils for the nine-month term. There were 30 boys and 18 girls. The frame schoolhouse was reported in fair condition. During the entire year, only $12.50 was reported as spent for textbooks and teaching supplies. It cost $15.60 to heat the schoolhouse and $28.20 to make some needed repairs.
William Aukerman was director (secretary) in 1910. It cost $1,127.53 to operate the school for nine months. Two teachers were paid $495.00 each for the school year. $51.00 was spent on books and supplies and $58.00 for fuel. $1.75 was reported in the treasury at the years’s end. 29 boys and 39 girls made an enrollment of 68 pupils.
In 1911, a new two room school replaced the previous one room school. Both buildings were on the site of our white building which was torn down several months ago. The new 1911 school rooms were presided over by the Trott Sisters. They taught 23 pupils in grades one to eight inclusive. An 8th grade boy helped with the janitor work. New single desks were purchased to replace the double desks used before 1911.
In 1920, George McGarland was director of the school board. 42 boys and 38 girls composed the 80 pupils enrolled in the school. Two teachers were paid total of $1,439.25 for nine months of school. $309.60 was spent for supplies, $200.15 for repairs and $136.60 for fuel.
In 1930, Walter K. Danley was director and he held this position for many years. Four teachers, all women, were paid $92.50 a month for 9 months of school. The district spent $4,272.09 and $3,330.00 of this was for teachers & salaries. There were 174 pupils in the school. 91 were boys and 83 were girls, The value of the schoolhouse was listed as $9000.00 and the value of the site was $1150.00.
In the year 1932-33, there were four teachers in the West Lincoln School. The teacher taught the 3rd and 4th grades and had an enrollment of 52 children in her room. Her room was on the east side of the white building recently torn down. This teacher taught writing to all the grades, another teacher taught art, and another taught music to all the pupils. Janitor service was provided.
Walter K. Danley was still director in 1940. The school still had 4 teachers, one was a man who taught the 7th and 8th grades. 95 boys and 98 girls made up the enrollment of 193 pupils. The four teachers were paid a total of $2,655.00 for the school year. This was $675.00 less than was paid for four teachers ten years before. The schoolhouse value was given as $10,000 and the value of the site $400.00.
There are no known records in the County Superintendent of Schools office concerning how many schoolhouses were built by the district or what they cost prior to 1950.
Throughout its existence, School District No.#126 (West Lincoln) always had one of the larger elementary school enrollments among the incorporated villages in Lancaster County.
On Nov. 4, 1953, a survey of the West Lincoln School was completed by the Teachers College In-Service of Nebraska. The survey had been requested by the West Lincoln Board of Education.
The following are statements made in the survey:
On October 19, 1954, West Lincoln School District #126 held a special school election. The proposal was this:
Shall School District 126 issue negotiable bonds in the principal amount of $91,000.00 to purchase sites for and to build schoolhouse and to pay for additional classrooms and repairs to the present existing schoolhouse, and to furnish the necessary furniture and apparatus for the classrooms. Said bonds shall bear interest not to exceed 3 1/2% per annum. The annual bonds requirement amounts to $6,543.25 or a mill levy of 9.75 mills.
Bruce Hazen and Marvin Robinson were the architects chosen to plan the new addition to the school. The addition was completed and the teachers and pupils moved into the new building in January, 1956. Seven teachers had been hired.
In 1955, a 6 member Board of Education replaced the 3 member board. The Board Members were Mrs. Thelma Goodwin, Harold Hawkins, Lloyd Carter, Nola Anderson, Wayne Higgins, and Mrs. Almina White. For the school term, 1956-57 eight teachers were hired.
During the fall of 1958, the Board of Education of the West Lincoln School asked to be annexed to the Lincoln School System. School District No. #126 was dissolved on January 26, 1959 and all of its territory added to Lincoln School District No. I by order of County Superintendent, Glenn E. Turner.
On February 2, 1959, West Lincoln School officially became a part of the Lincoln School System. The 7th and 8th grades were taken by bus to Whittier Junior High.
Robert Norman was principal that semester and also for the year 1959-60.
Mrs. Helen Garner became principal the fall of 1960. She is serving her sixth year as principal of this school. (fall 1965).
In 1963, the Lincoln School Board of Education decided to build on to the 1955 building. This addition consisting of classrooms, offices, and a multi-purpose room and lunchroom-kitchen was completed in the fall of 1964. The principal, teachers, pupils, and custodians moved from the old white frame schoolhouse into the beautiful, new building October 16, 1964.
The old building was torn down. The job was completed in the spring of 1965. We are here today to dedicate this fine addition to our West Lincoln School,
by Betty Keefe, Media Specialist (dated May 1999)
Updated by Todd Sievers Computer Teacher 1990 – Present
After the 1955 addition (basement and the 4 east classrooms) to West Lincoln, the school was increased in size four more times. In 1965, the east and part of the north section of the present building was completed. This consisted of the multipurpose room and stage, kitchen, boiler room, custodian’s office, the main office including a nurse’s office, the para room, the north half of the media center, and three north classrooms. In 1977, three more classrooms on the north, a new office, the south section of the media center, the computer room and the south wing of classrooms were added. In 1983, Margie Eloe commissioned the panoramic Nebraska murals for the Media Center which were painted by Sherry Harig. They depict not only Nebraska history, but also include a painting of the original West Lincoln schoolhouse. The teacher in front of the schoolhouse is supposed to represent Margie Eloe. The original idea for the Media Center decor was to have a railroad theme and the paintings were to represent the landscapes seen from a train window. In 1986 the west wing of classrooms and the big gym completed what is now West Lincoln School. When this construction was done, Chester Street on the east side of the school became a dead end. Two portables were put on the north section in 1990 and another one was added in 1995. The latter is used for the West Lincoln Family Resource Center and a Headstart classroom. The entire office area was remodeled in 1995. This included a new office for the assistant principal, new nurse’s office, para room and lounge. Through a grant from Library Power, the media center was remodeled in 1994-95. A glass wall on the south, new carpeting, circulation desk, storage cupboards, new shelving for reference and 3 couches were purchased through the grant monies. In the spring of 1999, the entire school was painted. During the summer of 1999 another portable is being added.
Helen Garner was the principal of West Lincoln School from 1960 to 1972. In 1972-73, Margie Eloe and Dan Conway were co-principals. Dan was mainly at Belmont School. Then from 1973-1983 Margie Eloe was principal, Jerry Decker followed from 1983-1994 Russ Reckewey from 1994 to 1999, Kathy Evasco from 1999 to 2005 and Scott Schwartz from 2005- present.
In the school year 1998-99, the population the school was 412 regular students. This does not include the 18 Headstart students. There are 3 all day kindergarten classes, 3 first grades, 3 second grades, 2 third grades, 2 third-fourth grades, 2 fourth grades, 3 fifth and 3 sixth grades. The certified staff consists of 25 classroom teachers (includes 2 Headstart), 6 resource teachers, and 13 specialists. 10 paraprofessionals, a school nurse, executive secretary and secretary complete the staff.
In the 1990’s, West Lincoln received several grants and started new programs. Many were grants written by the Lincoln Public Schools from which West Lincoln then received funding for implementation. Among these were Transition, Assessment, Inclusion, and Library Power Grants. Being a Title I school enabled us to being the F.A.S.T. (Families And Schools Together) program. Title I funds also helped the school to continue with home visits, adopt our literacy model, and develop a school-wide program. The Primary Program, also a district grant, was implemented with in-service for the staff. New math, social studies and Skills for Growing curriculum were begun as well as the Reading Recovery program, and an all-day kindergarten (1996-97). An art specialist and full-time psychologist were added to the staff in the 1998-99 school year. In the school year 1999-2000, the Early Children Special Education program and High Scope (a program wherein students will make choices and learn how to be responsible for their own learning) will begin. High Scope is funded through a federal Comprehensive School Reform grant.
West Lincoln has continued to grow. There are currently 426 students enrolled in grades K – 5.
WordPress is one of the tools teachers have access to for creating web pages in LPS.
Offering a web-based tool that allows you to publish web pages, as well as industry standard blogging tools, WordPress is the best of all web content worlds. Writing and formatting content is easy, as is previewing the site as you compose. WordPress supports adding images (even in galleries), videos and audio (for podcasts) and allows you to categorize your content and tag it so that others can easily find it.
Each Lincoln Public Schools staff member with an email login and password already has a WordPress account and can begin creating pages and posts immediately, though staff development courses are always a good idea. As a web-based tool no extra software is necessary, it is available anywhere you have internet access.
The LPS'Pedia is a list of terms, phrases and acronyms used at LPS. In addition, a history of each LPS building, as it appeared in the 1999 publication 'How the Schools Were Named' by LPS Media Services are included. Additional types of information will appear over time. If you have a suggested entry, please fill out this form.
Some of the items have different meanings depending on the context in which they are used. Every effort will be made to include information about those terms, phrases and acronyms that have "multiple personalities".