I-MAT – Instructional Materials Division, ESU
I-MAT is the instructional Materials division of the Nebraska ESU (Educational Service Unit) Professional Development system.
Across the state, ESU system affiliate groups focusing on specific topics meet a few times a year to discuss alignment and strategy for their respective issues, as well as participating in their own staff development and training. LPS contributes active membership and leadership positions on many of these groups.
ICE – Information Center for Employees
Along with Paycheck, W2 and Online Benefit Information, this site will tell you your Employee ID. That number is required for using the Xerox MFDs (printing, copying, faxing, scanning) in LPS.
IDEA – Individuals with Disabilities Education Act
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) is a law ensuring services to children with disabilities throughout the nation. IDEA governs how states and public agencies provide early intervention, special education and related services to more than 6.5 million eligible infants, toddlers, children and youth with disabilities.
Infants and toddlers with disabilities (birth-2) and their families receive early intervention services under IDEA Part C. Children and youth (ages 3-21) receive special education and related services under IDEA Part B.
IDM – Improving Document Management
The Improving Document Management (IDM) project has been an initiative undertaken in LPS to account for every piece of paper printed across the District and provide the modern digital systems needed to eliminate printing when possible, and reduce overall printing costs. The result is more than cost savings, it offers LPS teachers and students the tools necessary to create modern learning environments.
- IDM: A collection of documents, videos and resources related to IDM
- Print Center: A site to order jobs from the print center using a PDF file.
- DocuShare: An enterprise content management system
- Frequently Asked Questions
IEP – Individual Education Program
Each student with a disability must have a written IEP (Individual Education Program) prepared by the staff in cooperation with parents which specifies programs and services that will be provided by the schools. If necessary, the District will arrange for interpreters or other assistants to help parents in preparing and understanding the IEP. Once in place, the program is reviewed on a regular basis with the parent.
Parents will be notified of the persons who will be in attendance. The IEP conference shall include at least the following:
- A representative of the School District;
- An individual who can interpret the instructional implications of evaluation results;
- One or both parents;
- The child (when appropriate);
- At least one regular education teacher if the child is, or may be, participating in the regular education environment;
- At least one special education teacher;
- A representative of the nonpublic school if the child is attending a nonpublic school;
- A representative of a service agency if the child is receiving services from an approved service agency; and
- Other individuals, at the discretion of the parent or School District.
It is permissible for parents to bring other persons to the IEP meeting, but it is a good idea to inform the school before the scheduled meeting.
The School District will provide parents with a copy of the IEP.
Students must show proof of immunization upon enrollment in Lincoln’s public schools. Any student who does not comply with the immunization requirements will not be permitted to continue in school.
Students with medical conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs which do not allow immunizations must complete a waiver statement which is available in school health offices.
Unimmunized students may be excluded from school in the event of a disease outbreak.
To capitalize on the relationship between technology and learning, the LPS Computing Services Department collaborates with the Curriculum and Library Media Services Departments, as well as each school to make technology an integral part of the instructional process.
For more information on instructional technology use in LPS, visit the Instructional Technology web pages.
The goal of the intramural program within Lincoln Public Schools is to offer activities that encompass the interests and needs of all students. The activities involved stem from skills taught in the physical education classroom or from special interests of students. The program provided is intended to provide for a variety of activities with carry-over value for students in everyday life.
The organization of intramurals is in supervised team, individual, or group activities in which students in a school participate or compete voluntarily.
Information about athletics and activities can be obtained by calling the district office (436-1811). For individual school schedules, please contact the school’s athletic office.
Refers to the operating system for mobile Apple products.
IRV – Irving Middle School
Built in 1927, Irving Middle School shares space with Lincoln’s Irving Recreation Center. the school was named for Washington Irving who authored such favorites as Rip Van Winkle and Legend of Sleepy Hollow. It is notable that in the 80 year history of the school there have been only 4 different principals.
iSite is server space dedicated to the hosting of web accessible content. LPS employees may use this space to post an individual teacher web site, photo galleries, posting of grades, or any other activities prescribed in their contracted employment and within the LPS School Board policies on acceptable use. iSite is only available for LPS staff.
Individual questions (or tasks) on an assessment. These terms are generally used interchangeably. Traditionally, the term ‘items’ is used in conduction with paper-and-pencil assessment, whereas the term ‘tasks’ is associated with performance assessment.
Jackson High School
- LOCATION: 2925 N. 47th
- IN OPERATION: 1927 (annexation) – 1941
Jackson High was built in 1912 and operated until 1941. The school was named for William R. Jackson (1860-1912). Mr. Jackson served as Nebraska superintendent of public instruction before he became organizer and dean of Nebraska Wesleyan Teachers College.
- LOCATION: 301 N. 46th Street
- OPERATION: 1888·1904
- 1888: 1st & K Streets
- 1889: 48th & O Streets
- 1892-1904: 301 N. 46th Street
“Jordan-mixed” was first located at 1st & K streets (the future site of Longfellow School). In 1889 it was moved to 48th and 0 streets (the future site of Hawthorne’s first building); then in 1892, to the North 46th street location.
Jordan was a small frame school, the first school east of Wyuka Cemetery, but there is a dearth of information about it. We haven’t been able to find out for whom it was named. If you have information, we would love to hear from you!
KAH – Kahoa Elementary
Kahoa was named for Mrs. Evelyn Kahoa who joined Lincoln Public Schools in 1931 as a teacher at Longfellow and then Sheridan. In 1942 she went to Norwood Park as assistant principal and moved up to principal in 1946. In 1949 she became principal of both Bethany and Riley at the same time. This arrangement lasted until 1954 when her focus was narrowed to Bethany only. Mrs. Kahoa retired from Bethany in 1971.
KLO – Kloefkorn Elementary
KLO – Kloefkorn Elementary
Kloefkorn Elementary is named after William Kloefkorn (1932-2011). Kloefkorn taught writing and literature at Nebraska Wesleyan University until his retirement in 2002. He published more than 30 collections of poetry, two collections of short fiction, four memoirs and an assortment of children’s Christmas stories. In 1982 the Unicameral by proclamation named him the Nebraska State Poet.
KOO – Kooser Elementary
Opened in August 2009, Ted Kooser Elementary is the newest LPS Elementary School. It sits on approximately 15 acres of land which includes a small Lincoln Parks and Recreation site.
Ted Kooser (b. 1939) is an American poet who was the thirteenth Poet Laureate of the United States, serving two terms from 2004 to 2006. He is the author of eleven collections of poetry, receiving the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry for his book “Delights and Shadows” (2004). Kooser has won two NEA Literary Fellowships (in 1976 and 1984), the Pushcart Prize, the Nebraska Book Awards for Poetry (2001) and Nonfiction (2004), the Stanley Kunitz Prize (1984), the James Boatwright Prize, and the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry (2005).
He is former vice-president of Lincoln Benefit Life, an insurance company, and lives near the village of Garland, Nebraska.
LAK – Lakeview Elementary
Named for the area near Capitol Beach Lake, Lakeview School was a one-teacher school on West P Street until 1923 when the present building was constructed at 300 Capitol Beach Boulevard. It was constructed by the district’s own employees, who requested and were granted the opportunity to demonstrate that their building skills equaled those of the contractors building other LPS schools at the time. The school was very lightly used until 1945 when new development in the area spurred growth.
Additions were completed in 1963 and 1974. Currently, Lakeview is the academic home of approximately 300 K-5 students from five different neighborhood areas.
LAP – Lincoln Action Program
LCAD – Lincoln Council on Alcoholism and Drugs
Since 1962 the Lincoln Council on Alcoholism and Drugs (LCAD) is funded specifically to coordinate and plan for regional alcohol, tobacco and drug prevention. LCAD is approved to provide Adult Substance Abuse Evaluations.
LCY – Pathfinder Education Program
The Pathfinder Education Program is part of the Lancaster County Youth Services Center and Lincoln Public Schools.
LEA – Lincoln Education Association
Established in 1921, the Lincoln Education Association members are employees of the Lincoln Public Schools. LEA is the recognized bargaining agent for certificated staff in the Lincoln Public Schools.
LEA is the local affiliate of the Nebraska State Education Association and the National
LEF – Millard Lefler Middle School
Lefler opened on September 12, 1955. This junior high/middle school was named for Millard C. Lefler, a former superintendent of Lincoln Public Schools. Mr. Lefler started his Lincoln career as assistant principal of Lincoln High School in 1917. Within two years, he moved into the central administration as “Superintendent of Measurements and Research” and in 1920 was appointed superintendent.
Lefler immediately began to reorganize the school administration, initiate the junior high system, develop vocational training in the senior high, expand adult education, institute the guidance program, and start audio-visual instruction. Amid this flurry of activity he also was able to undertake the financing and construction of many new schools, sorely needed to replace the deteriorated plants that he had inherited.
What is truly amazing about Mr. Lefler is that he was able to keep up this breakneck pace through a major depression and world war. He was superintendent for a total of 28 years – until 1948 – which is extraordinary in any school district but astonishing in a university town.
After his retirement Lefler served in Japan as an educational consultant with General MacArthur’s headquarters. When he returned to Lincoln, he became a real estate salesman with his son-in-Iaw’s firm.
This human dynamo died in 1976 at the age of 94. Probably much of what is excellent about LPS today is traceable to Lefler’s legacy of achievement.
LES – Lincoln East High School
East was a combination junior-senior high from 1967-1997 when it became exclusively a senior high. It was named for the geographic area of Lincoln.It underwent significant renovations in 2009.
Under an arrangement similar to that of McPhee Laboratory School, the University
of Nebraska contributed to the building of East in order to concentrate it’s secondary
teacher training program there. When the school opened in 1967, University High
School was discontinued and it’s operations were moved to East.
LHS – Lincoln High School
Lincoln High School was founded in 1871 and is the oldest of the six public comprehensive high schools in the city. Lincoln High School was built on one of the six school sites designated in the 1867 Original Plat of Lincoln. That plan, however, labeled the school site south of the Capitol (where McPhee Elementary now stands) as “High School” and labeled all the others as
“Common School.” Lincoln High School is, of course, named for the city, which in
turn was named for President Abraham Lincoln.
The current building was opened in 1915 with major additions over the years. A significant building project will be completed in the spring of 2010.
Lincoln High School is now participating in the International Baccalaureate Program, one of only two high schools in Nebraska involved in the program.
LibreOffice / OpenOffice
The LibreOffice and OpenOffice productivity suites are open source (free) tools that offer word processing, spreadsheet, presentations, database, and drawing tools. Think of them as an alternative to Microsoft Office. OpenOffice was included on all new or reimaged teacher and lab computers from 2009-2012. In 2012 OpenOffice changed and is now LibreOffice. Most notably, it is included on the mobile lab carts, where Microsoft Office is absent due to cost.
Lincoln Learning Center
- LOCATION: 2931 N. 40th (frame buildings)
- IN OPERATION: 1970 – 1977
A small program for students who had dropped out of school, the Lincoln Learning Center served briefly as Lincoln’s alternative school.
Lincoln Technical College
- LOCATION: Leased locations throughout the city
- IN OPERATION: 1970 – 1973
In 1967 the Nebraska Legislature passed a law that legally separated adult education programs from public school districts, even though the programs continued to be part of the districts. For Lincoln Public Schools, the law led to the creation of Lincoln Technical College. This college lasted until the establishment of Southeast Community College, when LPS eliminated its adult and continuing education program.
The web application that LPS administrators, teachers and staff use to report technical support issues (help tickets). This application delivers alerts to technical staff so that they can respond to the filed support requests. [keyword: help]
LNE – Lincoln Northeast High School
LNS – Lincoln North Star High School
Opening in 2003, Lincoln North Star High School is located on the northern edge of the city of Lincoln. Students voted on the name North Star due to the schools location and the positive symbolism and uniqueness of the name.
- LOCATION: 1st & K Streets
- IN OPERATION: 1901·1931
Built in 1890, this school was known as “1st & K School” for the first decade of its life. However, in 1900 its teachers petitioned the Lincoln Board of Education to change the name to Longfellow in honor of the American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), the renowned author of Song of Hiawatha.
Longfellow School was located in the Salt Creek flood plain. After a disastrous flood in 1908 and a series of smaller floods, it became apparent that the location of the school was a poor choice. Longfellow was torn down and no trace of it remains today.
LPS – Lincoln Public Schools, History of
Lincoln has always had a keen interest in education. Finding places for students to learn has always been a challenge to the educational leaders in this community. The first public school in Lancaster Colony was in the dugout home of John Cadman in 1865. In 1866 a stone seminary located at 9th and P streets, the present location of the Lincoln Journal and Star newspaper, was turned into a school for about 30 children.
In the fall of 1867, a small school was built at 11th and Q where George W. Peck taught the first school in what was now known as Lincoln. For a fee of 50 cents a month, 35 students received their education in the school that was referred to as the District School. By 1868, sixty-five students were enrolled in the school and Lincoln began its history of quickly outgrowing its school facilities. The Methodist Church located at 10th and Q was purchased and Lincoln suddenly had two schools. The school district had begun its growth and its commitment to children that remains today.
The historical information presented about LPS schools in this LPSpedia was originally researched and gathered by Mike Callaghan and Kathi Friesen of the Lincoln Public Schools Library Media Services.
Often students, parents, and other community members seek information including dates of opening and closing, locations of the schools, and how individual schools were named. Included are several Lincoln Public Schools programs that although not schools by legal definition are, or have been, housed in separate facilities.
A number of schools at the beginning of Lincoln’s history are not included because historical documentation is very limited or, in fact, non-existent. These schools were often short-lived or one-room, cabin schools such as East J Street School, West J Street School, McCall School, Grandview School, and South School. However, the history of education in our community can be relived through the information presented here.
A special thanks to Mike Callaghan and Kathi Friesen who provided this information in the original document ‘How the Lincoln Public Schools Were Named’ published in 2000.
LPSAOP – LPS Association of Office Professionals
LPSDO – LPS District Office
The LPS District Offices (LPSDO) house many of the administrative and support personnel for Lincoln Public Schools.
Visit the District Departments webpage to find the department you are looking for.
LPSVOD – LPS Video on Demand Library
The LPSVOD Library contains all of the new CONESU (Cooperative Organization of Nebraska Educational Service Units) titles for the school year and other titles for which we have a license agreement.
If you have questions about the use of this tool, contact Library Media Services at 436-1628.
LSE – Lincoln Southeast High School
Southeast Junior-Senior High opened in 1955 to replace College View High School which had served the area since 1892. The Junior High population left when Pound Junior High opened in 1963. The building went through major renovations from 2006-2009.
LSW – Lincoln Southwest High School
Opening in 2002, adjacent to Wilderness Park in the southwest part of Lincoln, Southwest High School offers students the unique opportunity to experience the outdoor classroom.
LUX – John Lux Middle School
John Lux Middle School opened in 1996. John E. Lux (1929-1989) was a lifelong Lincolnite who was dedicated to quality education for the community. A Northeast High School graduate, Dr. Lux became the director of the UNL Teacher Corps in 1975, and was one of the designers of NUSTEP, a competency-based teacher education program that won national recognition for its innovative qualities. His commitment to education led him to serve on the Lincoln Board of Education from 1965 to 1975.
Dr. Lux was also a well-known education theoretician: at Teachers College he developed a mathematical rationalization of the process of teaching in an effort to put teacher selection on a more scientific basis.