Spring?

Randolph School Notes for March 28, 2014:

Teacher Requests for Next School Year:

Parents, if you have a request for your child’s placement for 2014-15, please write me a note or send an email detailing your request.  There are many considerations when developing class groups: work habits, behavior, achievement, personalities.  I consider parent requests voiced positively for reasons such as “This teacher has had our other children and we like her/his communication style.” “Teacher X has a class structure (or classroom management style) that works well for our child.” over “We don’t want our child with Teacher X.”  Questions?  Please let me know.  I need to hear your input no later than April 25th.

FUN NIGHT VOLUNTEER SIGN UP:

The following link is for FUN NIGHT volunteer sign up.

www.SignUpGenius.com/go/5080F45ACA622AB9-funnight

Fun Night is Friday, May 9th from 5-8:00 p.m.

CANS FOR BOOKS!

Everyone is asked to collect their aluminum beverage cans from April 1-30, and donate them for Randolph School to earn funds for library books. Cans can be brought to school and put in the bike rack corral, or taken directly to the recycling centers.  (See details below.)

Get Some Rest, Do Your Best, Pass the Test!

See the calendar below for the list of dates and grades completing their Nebraska State Assessments in Reading, Math, and Science!

These NeSA tests are very important. Encourage your children to do their best!

Help them do their best by getting to bed early and eating a healthy breakfast.

Breakfast Power: March 24-28

The Wellness Challenge to encourage everyone to EAT BREAKFAST EVERY DAY will continue next week for students who want to participate for bigger prizes! Students who want to continue the challenge can get a Breakfast Challenge Chart on Monday, March 31 in the office and will keep track all next week of the breakfast items they eat. Students can eat breakfast at home, at day care, or at school. Breakfast is served at Randolph from 8:35-8:55. Every student who turns in a completed challenge form on Monday, April 7 will get a prize recognizing her/his efforts to give their brain breakfast!

Third Quarter Attendance

Average daily attendance for 443 students:              95.5%

Students with perfect attendance, 65 students:            14.67%

Students with good attendance, 90 students:            20.3%

Students at risk (>10 days absent), 38 students:   8.5%

Fourth Quarter Focus:

To finish strong, students need to be at school on time every day.

That’s the focus for fourth quarter: at school, on time, every day.

(Remember, Randolph School starts at 8:55! 9:00 bell is tardy.

Randolph Street Roadblocks:

If your route to and from Randolph includes Randolph Street, please start practicing alternative routes. The city of Lincoln has begun work to replace the existing water main along Randolph Street from S. 28th Street to S. 40th Street from D to Randolph. Beginning in April, Randolph Street will be closed from 33rd to 40th Streets. For more information, contact:

Craig Aldridge, Project Manager

City of Lincoln, Engineering Services

(402) 416-5349

caldridge@lincoln.ne.gov

CALENDAR:

April 1 & 2   NeSA Reading grade 5

April 1                        PTA 6:30

April 2                        All Outdoor Education Camp permission forms for fourth grade due

April 3 & 4            NeSA Reading grade 4

April 4                        Freeze Pop Friday!

April 5                        BackPack Walk: LPS Fundraiser for the Food Bank of Lincoln’s Backpack Food program. Randolph has over 55 families who receive a backpack of food each Friday to help feed their family for the weekend.

April 8 & 9            NeSA Math grade 5

April 7                        Great Expectations Team meets 8:10

April 8                        STAFF MEETING 8:10 Bess Scott & next steps in School Improvement

April 8                        McTeacher Night at McDonald’s 27th & Vine! 5:00-7:30

April 9 & 10            NeSA Math grade 4

April 9                        Elementary Principals Council 7:30 am

April 11            Freeze Pop Friday!

April 11            BIST Q4 reteaching due

April 15 & 16            NeSA Science grade 5

April 16            BIST Consult Day   “first fifteen”

April 18            NO SCHOOL   Good Friday

April 21            School Improvement Process Committee meets

April 21            Elementary Principals Curriculum Council 12:30-4:30 @ LPSDO

April 22            Staff Meeting 8:10 staffing for 2014-15

April 22            MULTICULTURAL FAIR planning meeting 6:30

ALL parents and staff interested in keeping the MC Fair and planning for this fall’s event, please attend!

April 23            Staff Community meeting 3:45

April 25            NO elementary SCHOOL: plan day

April 29            PLC Early Out 2:18

Love and Logic Moment:

Does teasing end when kids graduate from elementary school? Does it stop when they move on from middle to high school? Does it magically disappear when we become adults? Or is it sadly true that most of us will encounter bullies throughout our lifetimes?

Because we can’t ensure that the world will always be sweet and kind to our kids, common sense tells us that we ought to equip them with skills that allow them to cope with this sometimes less-than-considerate world. Listed below are some quick tips:

• Teach them that bullies get their power from our negative emotions. The more upset we get when picked on, the more powerful mean kids feel.
  • Show your child how to trick bullies by pretending to be calm. If our children can learn to act calm when bullies hassle them, they become far less attractive targets.
  • Teach your child to confuse or bewilder bullies by responding to verbal taunts with replies like, “Thanks for noticing” or “I appreciate the feedback.”
  • Help your child develop great social skills so that they are liked, accepted, and protected by positive peers. Kids who don’t know how to relate in healthy ways often find themselves gravitating toward peers who treat them poorly.

In her wonderful book, Words Will Never Hurt Me, Sally Ogden provides practical strategies for achieving the goals stated above. A mother who read the book commented, “Because of this book, my daughter has convinced the bullies in her school that she’s no fun to pick on! She loves to say, ‘Thanks for noticing!’ when they call her nasty things. She’s become such a great actress that they leave her alone most of the time.”

Thanks for reading! Our goal is to help as many families as possible. If this is a benefit, forward it to a friend.

Dr. Charles Fay

(Dr. B’s note: These are great coping skills, and we also want our students to know to report bullying behavior to the adults at school, as well as their parents.)

Attention: Randolph Students, Teachers, Parents, Volunteers and Community Friends!

Welcome to the 14th annual Cans4Books!

In addition to being a great way to raise money for Randolph School Library during School Library Month, Cans4Books provides a wonderful opportunity to recycle aluminum.

Participating in Cans4Books is easy. During the month of April:

• Bring your aluminum cans to either A-Can Recycling or A & J Recycling.

• Mention ‘Cans4Books’ and donate your recycling refund to the Randolph School Library.

• A-Can Recycling, A&J Recycling and Barnes & Noble Bookstore (South Pointe) are our sponsors.

• The prizes: Schools with the top dollar earnings per capita will receive

Barnes & Noble Bookstore (South Pointe) gift certificates:

1st place – $75

2nd place-   $50

3rd place – $25

• In addition to the prize money, Randolph will also receive funds for books from the recycling refund.

Don’t miss this great opportunity!

Recycling is a great way to help the environment

AND

Cans4Books is an excellent way to earn money for Randolph School Library.

Randolph will have an area close to the bike racks to put bags of cans or:

Please contact Linda Bamesberger at Randolph for additional information.

lbamesb@lps.org

402-436-1163

The Cans 4Books program has donated over $36,704 to LPS elementary and middle school libraries for the purchase of library books since 2001.

Posted in End of the Week Notes.