April 4, 2014

CANS FOR BOOKS!

Everyone is asked to collect their aluminum beverage cans from April 1-30, and donate them for Randolph School to earn funds for library books.  Cans can be brought to school and put in the bike rack corral, or taken directly to the recycling centers. (See details at the end of this message.)

Get Some Rest, Do Your Best, Pass the Test!

See the calendar below for the list of dates and grades completing their Nebraska State Assessments in Reading, Math, and Science!

These NeSA tests are very important. Encourage your children to do their best!

Help them do their best by getting to bed early and eating a healthy breakfast.

Walking Club starts Monday, April 7!

On Mondays and Fridays at 8:40, students will be invited to walk laps on the track instead of staying in a line.  Teachers and other staff will help supervise the walking club.  Remember, 8:40 is the earliest students are supervised outside.

Randolph Community raised in our first

Freeze Pop Friday=  $267.59

Simply amazing is all I can say!

A gigantic thank you to the moms from Moms In Touch, Mrs. Gittins, Megan Strauch, and our student council members

for running the stands, managing the lines, and maintaining a smile!

Total Raised from all activities to date:  $3177!

Breakfast Power: 

The Wellness Challenge to encourage everyone to EAT BREAKFAST EVERY DAY will continue next week for students who want to participate for bigger prizes!  Students who want to continue the challenge can get a Breakfast Challenge Chart on Monday, April 7 in the office and will keep track all next week of the breakfast items they eat.  Students can eat breakfast at home, at day care, or at school.  Breakfast is served at Randolph from 8:35-8:55.  Every student who turns in a completed challenge form on Monday, April 14 will get a prize recognizing her/his efforts to give their brain breakfast!

Fourth Quarter Focus:

To finish strong, students need to be at school on time every day.

That’s the focus for fourth quarter:  at school, on time, every day.

(Remember, Randolph School starts at 8:55!  9:00 bell is tardy.)

Randolph Street Roadblocks:

If your route to and from Randolph includes Randolph Street, please start practicing alternative routes.  The city of Lincoln has begun work to replace the existing water main along Randolph Street from S. 28th Street to S. 40th Street.  Beginning in April, Randolph Street will be closed from 33rd to 40th Streets. For more information, contact:

Craig Aldridge, Project Manager

City of Lincoln, Engineering Services

(402) 416-5349

caldridge@lincoln.ne.gov

Have you ever wondered…?

Why is there a bee stamp on some of my child’s reading or math tests?

Does Dr. B. check those tests, too, after the teachers check?

Dr. B:  “It’s my job to know how well my students are learning.  After reading tests and math chapter tests are corrected by teachers, the tests are shared with me.  I see which children are doing well with the concepts, and which are struggling to learn.  I talk with teachers about what extra instruction is given to the students who have not yet learned the skills.  The bee stamps show students that I’ve seen their work.  I also mention great work and improvements to children when I see them before, during, and after school.”

CALENDAR:

April 8 & 9            NeSA Math grade 5

April 7                        Great Expectations Team meets 8:10

April 8                        STAFF MEETING 8:10  Bess Scott & next steps in School Improvement

April 8                        McTeacher Night at McDonald’s 27th & Vine!  5:00-7:30

April 9 & 10            NeSA Math grade 4

April 9                        Elementary Principals Council  7:30 am

April 11            Freeze Pop Friday!

April 11            BIST Q4 reteaching due

April 15 & 16            NeSA Science grade 5

April 16            BIST Consult Day   “first fifteen”

April 18            NO SCHOOL   Good Friday

April 21            School Improvement Process Committee meets

April 21            Elementary Principals Curriculum Council 12:30-4:30 @ LPSDO

April 22            Staff Meeting 8:10  staffing for 2014-15

April 22            MULTICULTURAL FAIR planning meeting 6:30

ALL parents and staff interested in keeping the MC Fair and planning for this fall’s event, please attend!

April 23            Staff Community meeting 3:45

April 25            NO elementary SCHOOL:  plan day

April 29            PLC Early Out 2:18

April 29            Band Concert 7 p.m.

May 1 & 2            LAST Nature Club classes for this school year!

Love and Logic Moment:

By Jim Fay

My friend, Dr. Foster Cline, is a very wise man. His presentations offer one brilliant piece of advice after another. One of my favorites is, “Every childhood mistake handled well can become a learning experience. Every childhood mistake handled poorly can become the source of resentment.”

Put yourself into this situation: You are a child who “borrowed” your dad’s power screwdriver. You left it out in the driveway overnight, and now it’s missing.

After finally getting up the nerve to admit this to your father, he replies, “Wow! I bet you feel pretty bad about that. I’m planning to do some repair work next weekend and I’m going to need that screwdriver back or I’m going to need a replacement. Let me know how you’re going to solve that. Give me a hug.”

How are you feeling at this moment? What are your feelings toward your dad? Are you mad at your dad or yourself? What kind of learning could take place?

Now suppose that Dad handles it this way instead and replies, “That was really stupid. What in the world were you thinking? How many times have I told you to leave my things alone? This is the kind of thing that really makes me mad. If you don’t find the screwdriver, you’re going to be grounded for two weeks, and I mean it!”

How are you feeling now? If this happens to be Dad’s typical reaction, how many repetitions of these interactions need to take place before resentment builds? How much learning takes place when you see the other person as the source of your bad feelings?

You can hear many of Dr. Cline’s wise words on the MP3 Download Allowing Kids to Choose Success. I like to listen to this audio in my car for both laughs and wisdom.

Thanks for reading! Our goal is to help as many families as possible. If this is a benefit, forward it to a friend.

Attention: Randolph Students, Teachers, Parents, Volunteers and Community Friends!

Welcome to the 14th annual Cans4Books! 

In addition to being a great way to raise money for Randolph School Library during School Library Month, Cans4Books provides a wonderful opportunity to recycle aluminum.

Participating in Cans4Books is easy.  During the month of April:

• Bring your aluminum cans to either A-Can Recycling or A & J Recycling.

• Mention ‘Cans4Books’ and donate your recycling refund to the Randolph School Library.

• A-Can Recycling, A&J Recycling and Barnes & Noble Bookstore (South Pointe) are our sponsors.

• The prizes:  Schools with the top dollar earnings per capita will receive

Barnes & Noble Bookstore (South Pointe) gift certificates:

1st place –   $75

2nd place-   $50

3rd place –  $25

• In addition to the prize money, Randolph will also receive funds for books from the recycling refund.

Don’t miss this great opportunity!

Recycling is a great way to help the environment

AND

Cans4Books is an excellent way to earn money for Randolph School Library.

Randolph will have an area close to the bike racks to put bags of cans or:

Please contact Linda Bamesberger at Randolph for additional information.

lbamesb@lps.org

402-436-1163

The Cans 4Books program has donated over $36,704 to LPS elementary and middle school libraries for the purchase of library books since 2001.

Cans4Books sponsored by A-Can Recycling, A & J Recycling and Barnes & Noble Bookstore (South Pointe)

In partnership with LPS Library Media Services and LPS Recycling Office.

Questions?  Call Marti Franti, LPS Recycling Office @ 436-1072 ext 82007

Posted in End of the Week Notes.