Built in 1890, this school was known as “1st & K School” for the first decade of its life. However, in 1900 its teachers petitioned the Lincoln Board of Education to change the name to Longfellow in honor of the American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882), the renowned author of Song of Hiawatha.
Longfellow School was located in the Salt Creek flood plain. After a disastrous flood in 1908 and a series of smaller floods, it became apparent that the location of the school was a poor choice. Longfellow was torn down and no trace of it remains today.