Juniors and their families who were unable to attend the Junior Family Meeting Tuesday, August 27th, may view the presentations below. If you have questions, please contact the presenter for each session.
Did you know that nationally, Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for young people and in Nebraska it is the 2nd leading cause of death for ages 15-24? September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. NAMI.org/suicideawarenessmonth has information about risk factors and strategies you can learn to help prevent suicide. One of the best national resources is Boys Town is the Suicide Prevention LifeLine 1-800-273-Talk or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
Data trends for 10-24 year olds from the Boys Town Lifeline and the Nebraska Youth Risk Behavior Survey include the following:
- In 2011 there were 112 calls made to the Nebraska Lifeline, in 2015 this number was 277.
- In 2011, 14.2% of youth reported that they considered suicide, in 2015 14.6% reported suicidal ideation.
The 3 leading mental/emotional risk factors by Gender reported:
- Suicide/Depressed Statements- Female- 83.6% Male- 84.2%
- Depression- Female-50.9% Male- 54%
- Anxiety- Female-28.8% Male- 25.3%
The 3 leading Relationship Concerns/Risk Factors by Gender reported:
- Relationship Conflicts- Female- 28.5 % Male- 26.4%
- Lack of Support- Female- 14.2% Male- 15.8%
- Relationship Loss- Female- 11.9% Male- 20.4%
Protective Factors by Age Group:
Age 11 -14 Age 15-18 Age 19-24
- Family/Other Support- 82.7% 79.8% 66.1%
- Plans for Future- 54.3% 62.8% 60.1%
- Sense of Purpose- 42.0% 48.6% 48.7%
- Want Help- 86.4% 85.8% 80.9%
- Able to Problem Solve- 55.6% 61% 57.8%
- Desire to Live- 60.5% 62.8% 61%
- Engage with Counselor- 75.3% 75.7% 75.1%
For more information, please contact:
- SCIP Coordinator-Lincoln/Lancaster County
- 4600 Valley Rd – Lincoln, NE 68510
SCIP on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SCIP.HELP