Bryan Mental Health Services provides free confidential online screenings for depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and alcohol use. To learn more, please visit www.bryanhealth.org/mental-health.
Did you know that nationally, Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for young people and in Nebraska it is the 2nd leading cause of death for ages 15-24? September is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. NAMI.org/suicideawarenessmonth has information about risk factors and strategies you can learn to help prevent suicide. One of the best national resources is Boys Town is the Suicide Prevention LifeLine 1-800-273-Talk or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org.
Data trends for 10-24 year olds from the Boys Town Lifeline and the Nebraska Youth Risk Behavior Survey include the following:
- In 2011 there were 112 calls made to the Nebraska Lifeline, in 2015 this number was 277.
- In 2011, 14.2% of youth reported that they considered suicide, in 2015 14.6% reported suicidal ideation.
The 3 leading mental/emotional risk factors by Gender reported:
- Suicide/Depressed Statements- Female- 83.6% Male- 84.2%
- Depression- Female-50.9% Male- 54%
- Anxiety- Female-28.8% Male- 25.3%
The 3 leading Relationship Concerns/Risk Factors by Gender reported:
- Relationship Conflicts- Female- 28.5 % Male- 26.4%
- Lack of Support- Female- 14.2% Male- 15.8%
- Relationship Loss- Female- 11.9% Male- 20.4%
Protective Factors by Age Group:
Age 11 -14 Age 15-18 Age 19-24
- Family/Other Support- 82.7% 79.8% 66.1%
- Plans for Future- 54.3% 62.8% 60.1%
- Sense of Purpose- 42.0% 48.6% 48.7%
- Want Help- 86.4% 85.8% 80.9%
- Able to Problem Solve- 55.6% 61% 57.8%
- Desire to Live- 60.5% 62.8% 61%
- Engage with Counselor- 75.3% 75.7% 75.1%
For more information, please contact:
- SCIP Coordinator-Lincoln/Lancaster County
- 4600 Valley Rd – Lincoln, NE 68510
SCIP on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SCIP.HELP