Aviation Career Day 2012
Duncan Aviation is hosting Aviation Career Day 2012 this Fall. The event will be open to all Nebraska high school students.
- Where: Duncan Aviation (3701 Aviation Road, Lincoln, NE, 68524)
- When: Wednesday, October 3, 2012
- Time: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m
- Students will have the chance to explore many facets of the aviation industry and career opportunities available to them. Learn more at www.AviationCareerDay.net
- They will be able to visit with representatives from surrounding universities and technical colleges about the next step towards becoming an aviation professional. Students will be able to complete various activities throughout the different departments at Duncan.
- Registration is necessary and space is limited. LSW students who would like to register and learn more about this event will need to contact Ms. Burk in the Counseling Center.
- $3,000 in scholarships will be awarded!
- Two $500 scholarships awarded at random on the day of the event One $2000 scholarship will be awarded based on application (given at the event) and winner will be notified at a later date.
Exploring College Options is a special recruitment program sponsored by the undergraduate admissions offices of five of the country’s leading universities: Duke University, Georgetown University, Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, and Stanford University. During the spring or fall of each year, the Exploring College Options group will visit all 50 states, Puerto Rico, USVI and the District of Columbia. At each event, representatives from the five universities will conduct brief slide presentations about their institution and answer your questions about the sometimes-mystifying world of college admissions. You will learn what distinguishes one fine university from another, what competitive colleges look for in the selection process, and what you can do to enhance your college application.
The programs start promptly at 7:30pm, so we suggest arriving 15 to 20 minutes beforehand to complete the sign-in process and find a seat. Programs typically last one and a half hours. Please feel free to bring your parent or guardian to the program, and if you have a friend who you think might be interested, please direct him/her to the Exploring College Options website for registration information
LSW students are invited to attend an informational session in Omaha on Tuesday, September 11, 7:30 pm at the Sheraton Omaha Hotel (655 North 108th Avenue, Omaha, NE 68154). Pre-registration is required.
The LSW SCIP (School Community Intervention & Prevention) Team invites you to read the SCIP September Newsletter.
For general information about the Senior Family Meeting, please contact Mr. Ernst. For questions specific to individual students, please contact the students’ counselors.
The Freshmen Family meeting will be held Tuesday, September 4th @ 6:30 p.m. in the Auditorium. Contact person is Mrs. Finkhouse. The Parents/Guardians Gifted meeting will follow.
2012 National College Match
- The National College Match program connects seniors with admissions & full scholarships to leading colleges. Eligible applications are strong academic students from low-income families (approximately $60,000 or less for household income). Qualified students should work with their counselors to complete the online referral form.
Smith College’s Women of Distinction Program
- The Women of Distinction Program for high school seniors highlights the opportunities at Smith College for African American, Asian American, Latina and Native American students. Participants in this three-day program will explore Smith College and determine whether it might be an appropriate college choice for them. Students will live in campus houses, experience the academic and social life at Smith and attend panels and workshops on student life and the college admission process. Admission to Women of Distinction is a competitive process based on academic and personal qualities. Smith will provide round-trip transportation, meals and accommodations for all selected participants.The program is for U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents who reside in the U.S. or a U.S. territory. International students and U.S. citizens abroad are not eligible to apply. The deadline to apply is Friday, September 21, 2012.
Wendys Heisman Awards
- Seniors who have at least a “B” average & participate in at least one school-sponsored sport can apply online in a just a few easy steps for the Wendy’s High School Heisman awards. Visit WendysHesiman.com for details on how to apply.
Heartland Latino Leadership Conference Scholarship
2012-13 American Legion High School Oratorical Scholarship Program
Now available: Heartland Latino Leadership Conference Scholarship. Deadline to apply for the $1,000 Heartland Latino Leadership Conference Scholarship is September 23, 2012. Link to information is available at the LSW Counseling Center’s website on the Scholarship Opportunities page. For questions email: Johnna Martinez atscholarship@HeartlandLatino.org
The Senior Family Meeting has been rescheduled for Tuesday, August 28th @ 6:30 p.m. Guest speakers from EducatioQuest & UNL will assist counselors in providing info about preparing for the senior year.
The Senior Family Meeting has been rescheduled for Tuesday, August 28th @ 6:30 p.m. in the Auditorium! Please note this new change in date. Guest speakers include Delmer Esters, College Planning Specialist at EducationQuest and Pat McBride, Associate Dean of Admissions at UNL.
Guest speakers and counselors will provide seniors and their families with information on post-secondary planning. Topics include appropriate class schedules for graduation and college entrance requirements, campus visits, college admissions applications, financial aid and scholarships.
Once again, the summer months brought both adventure and opportunity for JRF Scholars and alumni. Under the Rachel Robinson International Fellows (RRIF) Program, JRF partnered with The American Ireland Fund to send four Scholars to Northern Ireland to attend a 2012 session of the Summer School at the Clinton Centre for International Peace in Enniskillen.
Watch a video of their experiences here.
Other JRF 2012 RRIF Scholars traveled to Africa, Asia, Europe, the Caribbean and the Middle East this summer.
A JRF alumnus was awarded a White House internship in Public Engagement and Intergovernmental Affairs during his summer off from Oklahoma City University School of Law …. Another JRF Scholar was selected as a Truman Scholar, one of 54 selected among 587 candidates nominated by 292 colleges and universities …. A JRF Alumnus heads to Jakarta, Indonesia, having been awarded the prestigious U.S. Department of A state-sponsored Fulbright grant for 2012 travels to London to work for Goldman Sachs.
For more news on our scholars and program visit our website .
Scholars Learn First Hand About Movie-Making on the Set of “42”
Seven JRF Scholars learned first-hand this summer that making a movie is no easy feat while they served as production assistants on the set of “42,” a feature film in post-production under Legendary Pictures and distributed by Warner Bros. “42” depicts the first year leading up to Jackie Robinson’s historic debut in the Major Leagues. The film, written and directed by Brian Helgeland, will be released on April 12, 2013.
JRF Joins Citi and Mets for Citi Field Kids Event
JRF Scholars participated for the fourth year in the “Citi Field Kids” program, an annual summer project under which Citi, the New York Mets, United Neighborhood Houses and JRF partner to provide a “once-in-a-lifetime” experience for junior high school students.
For more information about The Jackie Robinson Foundation
go to our website at www.jackierobinson.org.