About Our School

Tribute to Ms. Hulda Roper

Hulda Roper dedicated her life to serving the community and especially the young people of Lincoln.

In 1944, she became the first woman police officer on the Lincoln Police force. As the only woman on the force for several years, Ms. Roper was involved in many cases dealing with family problems and demonstrated a particular interest in children and their welfare.

Putting her caring for children into action, Ms. Roper was instrumental in organizing an Opportunity Camp for disadvantaged youngsters from the Lincoln area. She recognized a gap in services to support needy children and single-handedly organized support to start the Cedars Home for Children. The Cedars Home has been in operation for more than 40 years and has helped more than 5,500 Lincoln youngsters. She was also instrumental in establishing a juvenile court system.

Hulda Roper, after unselfishly devoting her entire career to the Lincoln community and its young people, died February 28, 2001.

Roper added 16 new classrooms an 2 additional multipurpose rooms during the 2007-2008 School Term. 12 classrooms are dedicated to the grades 1-5 and four kindergarten classrooms are to accommodate the beginning of all day kindergarten.

 

Courtyard Dedicated: May 1997 We want to thank the West A Organization for providing their time and work on keeping Roper’s courtyard beautiful.