In 1915 the name of West A Street School was changed to Willard to honor Frances E. Willard (1839-1898). After a career as a teacher, Miss Willard was appointed Dean of Women at Northwestern University in 1873. She became increasingly interested in the temperance movement and spent 20 years as president of the W.C.T.U. and organizer of the world temperance union. She was a tireless lecturer.
The Willard building survives today as the Willard Community Center.