Mickle Track Season – TENTATIVE PRACTICE START DATE – April 8th
Track Practice Schedule
Monday: Sprints/Hurdle/Relay, Long Distance, Shot Put
Tuesday: Long Jump, High Jump, Shot Put
Wednesday: Sprints/Hurdle/Relay, Long Distance, Long Jump
Thursday: Long Jump, High Jump, Shot Put
Friday: Sprints/Hurdle/Relay, Long Distance, High Jump
Students are expected to participate in at least three practices per week in order to compete in the week’s meet.
COACHES: Interested Applicants – please contact Jarred Rowe (we have a full staff for the 2013 season as of now, but we’d be happy to forward your info to other schools)
Mickle is fortunate to have experienced coaches who are currently attending college in the field of education and who participated in track during their own school careers. Many coaches are returning intramural staff and enjoy working with the athletes at Mickle.
PRACTICE SCHEDULE: (7th grade M-W-F and 8th grade T-Th-F) Tentative schedule- subject to change based on coaching availability.
Practice will begin April 8th
3:05 - Change out at Mickle
3:10 – Meet w/ coaches (Some practices may be held at Northeast)
4:30 – Return to Mickle
4:45 – Athletes off campus / picked up / or walk home.
NO PRACTICE ON PLC DAYS
National Federation Rules Apply – No Team Scores will be kept.
APR 20th @ Southeast HS (Lefler Host) – Mickle, Lefler, Lux, Culler
APR 27th @ Southwest HS (Scott Host) – Mickle, Scott, Schoo
May 4th @ Northeast HS (Mickle Host) – Mickle, Lefler, Irving
May 11th @ Lincoln High – ALL SCHOOLS ATTENDING (Participation for all athletes not guaranteed)
* Events will be held on Saturday mornings at the posted High School sites. Students are encouraged to bring healthy – hydrating drinks / light snacks.
8 a.m – Athletes arrive (High jumpers @7:50)
(High Jump will begin as soon as possible)
8:30 – All other Field Events start
9:30 – Running Events begin
EXPECTATIONS / GUIDELINES:
* Athletes may participate in 4 or less events. (including relays) To help us determine event placement – the following expectations will be taken into consideration. Mickle is allowed no more than 5 athletes per event. If there is a surplus of athletes in an event area – we will use a rotation basis for students to participate and complete.
* Attendance: Please notify by note or phone or email if your child needs to miss practice. We acknowledge that athletes need to attend other clubs and academic responsibilities. Students are asked to turn in their other obligations w/in the first week of practice. Unexcused absences may result in being scratched from an event so that another athlete may participate.
* Effort / Attitude / Participation:
These factors will be taken into consideration when determining event selection. Parents will be notified by the Athletic Director of behavioral concerns. Serious infractions may result in immediate dismissal from the team. We encourage that athletes try out for events they will be successful in.
*Discipline: Coaches and staff will be following the Mickle School Wide Expectations of “Be Safe – Be Respectful – Be Responsible” . The following communication will take place with athletes and discipline concerns: Incident 1) Coach will privately meet with the athlete and alert the Athletic Director. Incident 2) The Athletic Director will meet with the student and coach. Student will be asked to inform their parent that any more incidents and they will be asked to leave the team. Incident 3) Student will be asked to exit the team. The Athletic Director will notify the parent/guardian. Serious infractions involving fighting, vandalism, harassment will not be tolerated and athletes will be asked not to return to practice for the remainder of the season.
* Each school may have 5 individuals in each event – 2 Relay teams allowed.
* An athlete will compete in 4 or less events.
* Starting will be done by pistol. “Runners Set” and shot fired.
* Athletes will have 3 attempts with the shot put, high jump, and long jump.
HIGH JUMP (Approx. 8 a.m. start)
* Starting height is 3’6” * 3 attempts at each height
* Raised 3 inches each round
* After 4 rounds – bar raised 2”
SHOT PUT (8:30 start)
* Boys and Girls use a 4 kilo shot. * 3 throws allowed.
LONG JUMP (8:30 Start)
* Jumpers each have 3 turns.
RUNNING EVENTS Order ( Approx. 9:30 start)
1600m run (long distance) 4 times around track.
7th boys / 8th boys / 7th girls / 8th girls – order of race heats
75 m low hurdles (7 hurdles @ 30”)
100 m dash (sprint)
400 m dash (medium sprint) 1 time around track
200 m. dash (sprint)
800 m run – 2 times around track
400 m. relay – each leg runs 100 meters
1600 m. relay – each leg runs one lap