Abuse, Assault, & Violence
Nebraska state law requires any person who suspects that a child has been physically or sexually abused or neglected to report it promptly to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services by calling 800.652.1999.
What is Abuse and Neglect?
Abuse is defined in three ways:
- Physical abuse exists when a child has an non-accidental injury.
- Emotional abuse exists when parents always put blame on a child or always reject the child.
- Sexual abuse exists when an adult uses a child as a part of any type of sexual act.
Neglect is defined in two ways.
- Emotional neglect is when the child suffers from the parent’s not giving them chances for feeling loved, wanted, secure, and worthy.
- Physical neglect is when a parent does not provide basic needs or a safe place to live. Examples are:
- not having enough food or clothing;
- not following doctor’s orders;
- not providing the supervision needed to keep the child safe;
- not having heat in the winter.
What Can I Expect if I Report Someone for Abuse?
You are not required to give your name. You will be asked to give your name so that, if necessary, the Protection and Safety Worker can get more information later. As long as the report is in good faith, you are not liable. Your report is confidential. Your name can only be given to law enforcement or a court of law.
- Boystown 24/7 National Hotline 800.448.3000 (TDD 800-448-1833)
- Child Advocacy Center 402.476.3200
- College Crimes & Sexual Assault: Understanding Safety Planning & Crisis Response
- Darkness to Light(Child Sexual Abuse) 866.FOR.LIGHT (367-5444)
- Love is Respect
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children800.THE.LOST (800.843.5678)
- National Center for Victims of Crime 800.394.2255
- National Child Abuse Hotline 800.4.A.CHILD (800.422.4453)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline 800.799.SAFE (7233) |
- National Sexual Assault Hotline 800.656.HOPE (4673)
- National Stalking Resource Network 800.394.2255
- National Teen Dating Abuse Helpline 866.331.9474
- Nebraska Child Abuse Hotline 800.652.1999
- Nebraska Domestic Violence Sexual Assault Coalition
- RAINN (Rape Abuse Incest National Network)
- Stop Family Violence
- Stop It Now! (National Help Line for Adults to Prevent Child Sexual Abuse) 888.PREVENT