ccn | counseling center news: february 2018
Please note: Direct Links are indicated by the bold-faced turquoise font.
- 2017-18 LSW Counselor Assignments & Responsibilities
- A-C Dr. Simpson-Kirkland * firstname.lastname@example.org
- D-HE Mrs. Volker * email@example.com
- HF-L Mr. Feeken * firstname.lastname@example.org
- M-N Dr. Lehn * email@example.com
- O-SL Mr. Peterson * firstname.lastname@example.org
- SM-Z Mr. Ernst * email@example.com
- Counseling Center Personnel
- Counseling Administrator | John Hastings
- Counseling Secretary | Janene Way
- Registrar | Christine Carman
- Social Worker | Michael Barber
- Family Services Therapist | Miranda Blackwell
- EducationQuest College Planning & Financial Aid Specialist | R.J. Vega
Follow us on Pinterest
Bookmark LSW Counseling Center
Google Classroom Info from the Counseling Center
- Seniors – Class of 2018
- Juniors – Class of 2019
- Sophomores – Class of 2020
- Freshmen – Class of 2021
- 6th * ASVAB Test @ LSW * 8:00 AM – Noon
- Contact Person: Mr. Feeken
- 6th * Registration Session for Current 8th Graders * 4:00 – 7:00
- LSW Media Center Lab * Non-Scott Students
- Scott Middle School * Scott Students
- Contact Person: Dr. Lehn
- 8th * Registration Session for Current 8th Graders * 3:30 – 6:30
- LSW Media Center Lab
- Contact Person: Dr. Lehn
- 27th * Hawk Food Market * 2:15 – 3:00 PM
- Contact Person: Dr. Simpson-Kirkland
Beginning at 8:00 am, on the morning of Tuesday, February 6th, LSW will offer the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) test to interested students. Students may register for this free assessment in the Counseling Center. According to Military.com, “The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery is the most widely us college, vocational school, or a military career. ASVAB test scores are broken down by the individual sub-tests and composites of the sub-tests. One of the most critical of these scores is the Armed Forces Qualification Test, which is used to determine if an individual is qualified to join the military service. Each service determines the qualification AFQT score for enlisting in their service.
If you have additional questions about the ASVAB, please contact Mr. Feeken, who coordinates the ASVAB for the LSW Counseling Center. Resources to assist with preparing for this test, include the links shown below:
The course selection process for the 2018-19 school year is now accessible to students through January 31st. The online course registration process may be completed online using Synergy StudentVUE or ParentVUE. Students/families may register for courses on their own or attend one of the help sessions in the Media Center Computer Lab during PLC time (2:03-3:00) on January 23rd and January 30th. Students are reminded to bring their Chromebooks to the registration sessions.
Online registration sessions will be held for current 8th graders on Tuesday, February 6th and Thursday, February 8th in the Media Center Computer Lab.
- Visit the Google Classroom for appropriate grade level
- Read the 4 Year Course Planning Guide Instructions
- Complete and submit the 4 Year Course Planning Guide Assignment
- Review the LSW Online Registration Directions for your grade in 2018-19
- Select courses using the online registration system located in the Student VUE or Parent Vue
- Register for 80 credit hours
- Choose two alternates for the alternate category in case there would be a time conflict, class is filled or not offered
- Select extra-curricular activities that are interested in participating in
On Tuesday, February 6th, current LSW 9th – 11th grade students will also have the opportunity to register during Parent/Teacher Conference from 4:00 to 7:00 pm in the Media Center Computer Lab.
Hawk Food Mart
On Tuesday, February 27th, the Hawk Food Mart will be held in the A118 Forum from 2:00 – 3:30. LSW students, and staff may shop for items such as pasta, canned meat, bread, pastries, and other staples that will provide food for themselves and their families. There is no cost and no income restrictions. Food is furnished by the Food Bank of Lincoln. Additionally, there will be gently used clothing available for distribution.
The February College Planning Bulletin offers the following scholarship information:
- Most scholarships are based on academics
- Others are based on community service, school involvement, or talent
- Some are based on financial need as determined by the results of your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
- The Student Bulletin
- Schools you are interested in attending
- Coaches/Sponsors of athletics/extra-curricular activities
- Parents’ Employers
- Civic Organizations
- If you haven’t already, complete the FAFSA
- Expect financial aid award notifications from the colleges you listed on your FAFSA.
- Apply for scholarships
- Start preparing for the ACT
- Register by February 9th if planning to take the March 10th SAT
- Register by March 9th if planning to take the April 14th ACT
LSW students and families are reminded that R.J. Vega, EducationQuest College Planning/Financial Aid Specialist, is at Southwest High School on Wednesdays. To schedule an appointment, please contact Mrs. Janene Way in the Counseling Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 402-436-1306 Option #3.