SS.2.1 We the Community
SS 2.1.1 There are 3 types of communities.
http://www.harcourtschool.com/ss1/adventure_activities/interactives/gr3_unit1.html https://kids.usa.gov/ http://www.eduplace.com/kids/socsci/books/applications/imaps/maps/g3_u1/preloader.swf
- Producers need consumers to use their products or services
- Urban communities are sometimes called cities and have downtown areas
- Suburban communities are close to the city and are less crowded
- Rural communities are small towns in the countryside
SS 2.1.2 Communities are located in different places on a map.
- People use maps to find places
- Maps symbols and keys are tools that help us find places on the map
http://www.abcya.com/take_a_trip.htm http://www.childu.com/sample_act/23ss_edge.html http://nationalgeographic.org/media/geogames/
SS 2.1.3 Communities have different geographic features.
- Communities can be located near one or more geographic features: mountains, rivers, desert, plains, lake, ocean, valley, island
- Physical maps show geographic features
SS.2.2 We the Workers
SS 2.2.1 Communities produce and distribute goods.
- Goods can be produced in factories
- Goods can be produced on farms
- Goods are transported from factories and farms to stores
SS 2.2.2 Communities provide services.
- Service jobs help or “serve” people
- Distinguish between economic needs and wants
SS 2.2.3 Communities meet needs and wants.
http://www.econedlink.org/interactives/EconEdLink-interactive-tool-player.php?filename=dragndrop3.swf&lid=642 http://www.brainpopjr.com/socialstudies/economics/needsandwants/ http://pbskids.org/itsmylife/games/mad_money_flash.html
SS.2.3 We the History Makers
http://www.usmint.gov/kids/ http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0600/frameset_reset.html? http://www.nebraskastudies.org/0600/stories/0603_0100.html
SS 2.3.1 Communities can grow or get smaller.
- Jobs influence a community’s size
- Family needs, influence a community’s size
SS 2.3.2 Communities change over time.
- Timelines tell when and in what order things happen in a community.
- One person can make a difference (in the past and today)
SS 2.3.3 Community change is impacted by people
SS.2.4 We the People
SS 2.4.1 Responsible citizens make responsible leaders.
- Responsible leaders are elected by citizens
- Responsible leaders make important decisions to help their communities
- Responsible leaders listen to citizens
SS 2.4.2 Responsible citizens take action.
- Responsible citizens vote – See also section on Election/Voting Process
- Responsible citizens work to make their community better
- Responsible citizens get along with others
- Responsible citizens help others
- Responsible citizens follow rules and laws