Photojournalism Step By Step Instructions
1. DOWNLOADING IMAGES FROM THE CAMERA
1. Connect Camera to computer with the USB cord provided.- Turn camera ON. Put camera in Play mode (the Arrow on the back of the camera).
2. Launch Photos
3. When the camera shows up in Import window, make sure the box “Erase Camera Contents After Download” is UN-CHECKED.
4. Click Import New Photos. Choose “Keep Originals” when that box appears.
5. When finished downloading, disconnect camera and turn it off. Don’t disconnect until the camera is finished importing.
Return the camera to Mr. Keller.
DO NOT JUST PUT THE CAMERA BACK IN THE DRAWER! IT MUST BE CHECKED IN BY THE TEACHER!
2. MOVING PHOTOS TO YOUR SERVER FOLDER
Connect to our Server: Click on your desktop. Click on the menu marked Go at the top of your screen, and choose Connect to Server.
Type this address exactly: smb://cobra.lps.net/journ/lhs/2668
This will take you to our server. You should see a folder with your name and student number on it. Open That Folder, and follow the directions below.
1. (One Time) Make a New Folder (Go to File and select New Folder) in your Named Folder and title it: P8.PhotosMaster.YourFirstName
2. (After you have made your PhotosMaster folder): Make another New Folder inside the Photos Master folder for this assignment.
3. Title it with the Period.Assignment.Date.Your First Name:
4. In Photos, move the window so you can see your photos and the server folder. Select All of the photos (Command +A) and Drag Them from Photos to your new, named Assignment Folder. This will copy the photos there. (Wait until all of the photos have copied into the new folder. You will see a circle in the top right of the window. When it is full, all of the photos have been copied.)
5. Close out of Photos.
3. BATCH RENAMING
1. Open Photo Mechanic from your Applications Folder. (If a new window doesn’t appear, go to File and select New Window.)
2. Drag your First Photos folder into the window. You can also drag it onto the icon in your Dock.
3. You should see all of your photos as thumbnails. This is called a Contact Sheet.
4. Go to Edit and choose Select All.
5. Go to File and choose Rename Photos.
6. In the box, type the file name info (Period.Assignment.1stName: P8.FirstPhotos.1stName)
DO NOT INCLUDE THE DATE IN THE FILE NAME
7. Click the Sequence box. This will add a three digit serial number to each file name.
8. Click Rename.
9. Click ONCE in between the thumbnails to Deselect all of the photos.
10. You can double click on individual photos to view them in Photo Mechanic. Close the viewing window to return to the Contact Sheet view. (To Open photo in Photoshop, see Step. 5.)
4. Adding Stationery Pad information to ALL PHOTOS
1. SELECT ALL PHOTOS (Edit – Select All).
2. Go to Image and select IPTC Stationery Pad
3. Type in the DATE, the PHOTOGRAPHER’S NAME and the CAPTION information (the Assignment Name). Be sure that the boxes next to these fields are checked. √
4. Click Apply Stationery Pad to Selected. Click in between the photos to Deselect All.
****BE SURE TO APPLY STATIONERY PAD INFO BEFORE CAPTIONING INDIVIDUAL PHOTOS. STATIONERY PAD WILL ERASE PREVIOUS INFO.***
5. Click on the “i” icon in the lower left corner of the image, and type your SPECIFIC caption information in the CAPTION field. Check the Caption Writing Guidelines for the information you need to include in the caption.
6. Click OK to save the information or click to save any changes to the caption.
Clicking on the arrow buttons in the window will take you to the next image, but this will not save your caption information. You can copy and paste caption information that is the same for multiple photos.
5. Cropping to Improve Composition
1. In the Contact Sheet window of Photo Mechanic, Click ONCE on the photo you want to crop.
2. Go to Image and select Edit Photos. The photo will then open in Photoshop. (You can also drag the image from your Contact Sheet onto the Photoshop icon in your Dock.)
3. Use the Cropping Tool to select the area that you want to keep. Remember the Rule of Thirds, and make sure the subject is not centered.
4. When you have selected the area you want to keep, double click in side the selected area of the photo. This will apply the crop to the photo and cut out the parts you want to get rid of.
5. When you have the image the way you want it, click SAVE AS. It should show the same folder that the original photo came from. CHANGE THE FILE NAME by adding a .2 to the file before .jpg.
6. Creating an ASSIGNMENT Web Gallery – with just the 10 photos for the assignment.
1. In the Photo Mechanic Contact Sheet window, TAG the best photos by clicking in the box at the lower right hand corner of the window. This will add a √ to the box.
2. Select the 10 images you want to submit for your gallery. (You can select multiple photos by holding down the command key and clicking on them, or you can choose Select Tagged from the Edit menu in Photo Mechanic. This will select all of the images you have tagged.)
2. Go to File – Export
3. Change Title and Home Page Name. (You can leave all of the other settings the same.)
4. Click Export.
5. Navigate to Your Assignment Gallery Folder in your Website Pages folder
6. Click Open. (All of the files and images for your gallery will be created there.)
7. MAKING LINKS
1. Open your Index Page (The one titled with your name.Index.html) from your Websites folder by dragging the file into the Dreamweaver icon in your Dock.
2. Double click and Select/Highlight the Assignment Name from the Table
3. Click on the link icon, and then click on the folder icon.
4. Navigate to your Websites Folder and then go to the Galleries Folder
5. Select the all.html page from Assignment Gallery Index Page
6. Click Choose and SAVE.
8. UPLOADING FILES
1. Ask Mr. Keller to upload your files and CHECK ONLINE to be sure everything is working. You’re done. Go take more photos!