Photojournalism Step By Step Instructions
1. DOWNLOADING IMAGES FROM THE CAMERA
1. Connect Camera to computer with the USB cord provided.- Turn camera ON. Put camera in Play mode (press the Arrow button on the back of the camera).
2. Launch Photos from your Applications Folder
3. When the camera shows up in Import window, make sure the box “Erase Camera Contents After Download” is UN-CHECKED.
4. Click Import All New Items. Choose “Keep Originals” when that box appears.
5. When finished downloading, disconnect camera and turn it off.
Don’t disconnect until the camera is finished importing. A message will appear.
6. Erase images from the camera. Push the Menu button, choose Erase Images, and then All images on card.
Return the camera to Mr. Keller.
DO NOT JUST PUT THE CAMERA BACK IN THE DRAWER! IT MUST BE CHECKED IN BY THE TEACHER!
2. MOVING PHOTOS TO YOUR SERVER FOLDER
Connect to the server: Finder – Go – Connect to Server –smb://cobra.lps.net/journ/lhs/2668
Navigate to the folder with your name on it, and open it.
1. (One Time) Make a New Folder in your Server Folder titled: P8_PhotosMaster_YourFirstName
2. Make another New Folder inside that folder for each new assignment.
3. Title it with the Period_Assignment_Date_Your First Name: Example: P6_FIRST_1_23_20_Bob (BE SURE TO USE UNDERSCORES _ AND NOT PERIODS OR SPACES IN FILE NAMES.)
4. Drag Photos from Photos to your new, named Assignment Folder. This will copy the photos there.
5. Close Photos Application
3. BATCH RENAMING
5. In the New Filename box, type the file name info (Period_Assignment_FirstName_: P1_FIRST_1stName_) – DO NOT INCLUDE THE DATE IN THE FILE NAME, and be sure to USE ONLY UNDERSCORES_ in the file name. Do NOT use periods spaces, or dashes, or the program will mess up your file extensions.
6. Make sure the Sequence Number box is selected. This will add a three digit serial number to each file name.
7. Click Rename.
8. You can double click on individual photos to open them in Photoshop.
4. Adding Stationery Pad information to ALL PHOTOS
1. Launch Photo Mechanic and select New Contact Sheet
2. Drag your folder of renamed images onto the icon in the Dock.
3. Go to Edit and SELECT ALL PHOTOS [Command + A].
4. Go to Image and select IPTC Stationery Pad
3. Type in the DATE, the PHOTOGRAPHER’S NAME and the CAPTION information (the Assignment Name). Be sure that the boxes next to these fields are checked. √
4. Click Apply Stationery Pad to Selected. Click in between photos to Deselect all photos.
****BE SURE TO APPLY STATIONERY PAD INFO BEFORE CAPTIONING INDIVIDUAL PHOTOS. STATIONERY PAD WILL ERASE PREVIOUS INFO.***
ADDING INDIVIDUAL CAPTIONS
5. Click on the “i” icon in the lower left corner of the image, and type your SPECIFIC caption information in the CAPTION field.
6. Click OK to save the information or click Save_As -next to save any changes to the caption.
Clicking on the arrow buttons in the window will take you to the next image, but this will not save your caption information. You can copy and paste caption information that is the same for multiple photos.
5. Cropping to Improve Composition
1. In the Contact Sheet window of Photo Mechanic, Click ONCE on the photo you want to crop.
2. Go to Image and select Edit Photos. The photo will then open in Photoshop. Or you can drag the image onto the Photoshop Icon in your Dock.
3. Use the Cropping Tool to select the area that you want to keep. Remember the Rule of Thirds, and make sure the subject is not centered.
4. When you have the image the way you want it, click SAVE AS. It should show the same folder that the original photo came from. CHANGE THE FILE NAME by adding a .2 to the file before .jpg. EXAMPLE: P2_Crop_Name_2.jpg
6. Creating an ASSIGNMENT Web Gallery – with just the 10 photos for the assignment.
1. In the Photo Mechanic Contact Sheet window, select the 10 images you want by either clicking on one, holding down the Command Key and clicking on others, OR by Tagging the photos you want (by clicking in the check box at the bottom right below the image) and going to Edit and choosing Select Tagged Images.
2. Go to File – Export
3. Change Title and Home Page Name: P2 Cropping Photos Name
4. Click Export
5. Navigate to Your Assignment Gallery folder in your Website Pages folder
6. Click Open
7. MAKING LINKS
1. Open your Index Page (The one titled with your name.Index.html) from your Websites folder by dragging the file into the Dreamweaver icon in your Dock.
1.5 Go to the View Menu, select View Mode, and choose Design.
2. Select/Highlight the Assignment Name from the Table.
3. Click on the link icon, and then choose Hyperlink from the Insert menu.
4. Click on the folder icon to browse.
5. Navigate to your Gallery folder, choose the appropriate assignment, and click on the all.html file.
6. Click OK.
7. Save (File Save, NOT Save as)
8. UPLOADING FILES
1. Ask Mr. Keller to upload your files and CHECK ONLINE to be sure everything is working. You’re done. Go take more photos!