Today we’re going to talk about several things:
1. Online Daily Briefs
2. Story Outlines
3. Logging in to the Advocate Online
4. Creating a profile and bio page
5. Photos and coverage for events this week.
- Online Daily Briefs – Thanks for signing up for these on Friday. Be sure to sign up for one during each colored period on the list. Be sure to select a topic that is timely – that is, as close as possible to the date that it will be published. These should be brief stories with basic information that we can post quickly. We’ll go over how to make a post online later. Ideally, your brief should have:
- the basic 5Ws – Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How
- a couple of good quotes from good sources,
- and a photo to go with it.
- Story Outlines – These are documents you’ll use to organize the elements that you’ll need for your story. These are in your Google Classroom. They are labeled: Issue 1 Story 1 Outline, Issue 1 Story 2 Outline, etc. Please fill out one of these for each of your stories. These are for you to keep track of all your information in one place. It will be graded as part of your overall score for the story.
- Logging into the Advocate Online.To begin, you’ll need to login to the Advocate Online
Go to this URL: lhsadvocate.com/wp=admin
Enter your school ID and school password. They will give you access to the site.
- Creating a profile and bio page – This can be done outside of class if we run out of time today.
Once you login, you will be on the Dashboard for the site. You will need to update your Profile by clicking on the Profile tab on the left side of the page. Then choose the dropdown menu that says “Display name publicly as” and choose the one that shows your First and Last name.
You will also be able to upload a Profile picture that will appear with any posts you author. Choose a head-and-shoulders style of photo, and save it to your desktop. This can be your Synergy photo, or you can take a new photo to use.
Here’s a video showing you what to do.
Be sure to click the button at the bottom that says Update Profile.
Next, you’re going to make a page with information about you. This will go under the About Us section of the site with information about our staff.
Here is a video showing you how to do that.
Click on the Pages tab on the left near the top and choose Add New.
Enter your First and Last Name in the Headline field where it says Enter title here.
Click on the Add Media button at the top of the page. Click Select Image. Navigate to wherever you have downloaded/saved the image you’d like to put on the page. Under Alignment, choose Left, and click Insert Into Post. This doesn’t have to be the same photo you used for your Profile photo.
You can resize the photo if you need to by clicking on a corner and dragging the image to the correct size.
Next, write a short bio for your page next to the photo. This will tell the reader something about you, but be sure not to share any information you don’t want everyone to know. Avoid personal information like your home address and cell phone number, etc. You can make changes to this later if you wish.
Be sure to click on the Parent drop-down menu on the left, and select About Us.
Finally, click Submit For Review. I will look over the pages and Publish them so that they appear on the website.
5. Photos and Coverage for events this week: There is now a link at the top of the list to the right to a signup sheet for covering upcoming events.