Dear 5th grade students and families,
Our Prescott annual Science Fair is February 16th, 2017 from 6:30-7:30pm. The Science Fair is an event where science comes alive, thanks to the ideas and research of the students! All fifth grade students will be required to participate and develop a science fair project using the scientific method in the area of their choice. The scientific method is a focal point of our science curriculum. Participation in the fair helps your child meet these educational goals and provides them the opportunity to discover new areas of interest, practice problem-solving skills, critical thinking skills, and gain a sense of pride in successfully organizing and completing a project. Parental support is very important in completing a successful project. Please take note of the following information so that you can support your student:
- Students may choose to work individually or they may choose one partner from within their homeroom classroom.
- Encourage your child to choose a topic that will interest and challenge them. Do not be afraid to try something new! This is a great time to learn about something new. Ideas for the project can be taken from websites, books, science magazines etc.
- We will be providing some in class time before winter break to research topic ideas
- Mrs. Ebeler will be assisting the students with research on their project during their media time beginning in January.
- Students will also have 50 minutes each day during Unit Studies time the week of February 5th– February 9th to work on their project independently or with their partner.
- Students will need time away from home to work on their project as well and we would appreciate your support at home.
- We encourage parents to offer support and assistance as your child is working on the project, but refrain from taking over and “doing” the project for them.
- Encourage your child to work on the project on a regular basis to avoid waiting until the last minute to get the project done.
**Please note: A Science Fair Registration Form will be sent home with your student next Friday.
Thank you for your support!
5th grade teachers,
Mrs. Brady, Dr. Riley, Mrs. Hughes, Mr. Cudaback