NetNewsWire has been my main tool for digesting the web since 2003. It is indispensable to me. When I switched from Delicious to Diigo as my social bookmarking tool of choice this past summer, my only hangup was that there was not a built in functionality to post directly from NetNewsWire to Diigo, as there is for Delicious.
A few months ago Rob Wells‘ made a lovely tutorial doing nearly the exact same thing for another web based tool that I love – Readability. Rather than reinvent the wheel I offer him full credit for all he did before me and blatantly borrow from it here. Thanks Rob!
Instructions for posting to Diigo from NetNewsWire:
- Go to the Diigo website.
- Right-click on the ‘Post to Diigo’ bookmarklet
- Choose “Copy Link Location”
- Open a PLAIN TEXT editor (TextEdit, Smultron, TextWrangler, etc.) and paste the link.
- Save the file, with the ending
- Open NetNewsWire.
- Open the scripts folder from the scripts menu.
- Copy in the file you just created.
- When you bookmark a page, Diigo returns you to the previous page – which for us is the bookmarklet page itself. That’s kind of annoying and if anyone knows how to fix this, I’m all ears.