Next week we will be sorting and classifying parts of trees, using our cognitive reasoning to put puzzles together, and reviewing uppercase and lowercase letters with an interactive small group alphabet book read aloud. We will also be reading “The Grouchy Ladybug.” Our investigative question is: “What are the characteristics of trees in our community?” and our letter of the week is I, i.
Our safety lessons next week teaches children the “Always Ask First” rule: Always ask your parents or the person in charge if someone wants to give you something or if someone wants you to go somewhere. This rule applies to trusted people and adults in your child’s life- maybe a neighbor, a close friend or a family member. You can practice this rule at home by talking about the following scenarios:
- What would you do if a neighbor offered you a ride in his new car?
- What would you do if your cousin asked you to look for his lost ball at a park?
- What would you do if your neighbor wanted you to come over because she just make cookies?
We will also be talking about safe things (medicine from an adult, healthy food and drink) that help your body, and not safe things (medicine that’s not yours, food from a stranger, non-food items, drugs or alcohol) that will hurt your body. You can help keep children safe by:
- Keeping household cleaners and medications out of reach of small children or in a locked cabinet.
- Have the poison control number (1-800-222-1222) posted in a visible place in case of emergency.
- Make sure your child knows how to dial 9-1-1, practice situations where they might have to dial 9-1-1, and practice what to do and say when they are on the phone with an emergency operator.
- When you feel they are ready, talk with your child about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.
- Children this age are like a sponge! Think about the message people who surround them and the media they are exposed to-what kind of messages they are sending?
Our park day has been moved to Sunday, October 22 due to the high likelihood of rain on Saturday. We will meet at Mendoza Park from 11:30 am-1 pm. Hope to see you there!
A friendly reminder that many of you have Home Visits scheduled with me next week. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you need to reschedule our time together. Thank you so much for carving out a little time in your busy schedule for me to visit you and your child in your home.